Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Home

This is a Radio Netherlands Worldwide archive page. Click here for the current RNW Media website.

Nelson Mandela celebrating his 90th birthday in Cape Town, 20 August 2008
Map
Hilversum, Netherlands
Hilversum, Netherlands

Why Mandela is my hero

Published on : 5 December 2013 - 11:17pm | By RNW Africa Desk ((C) AFP)
More about:

Nelson Mandela died on Thursday evening at the age of 95. South Africa’s great champion of unity and equality was a living symbol of freedom for millions of people around the world. RNW’s Africa desk has been collecting personal memories of Mandela and the role he has played in Africans’ lives. Here Babah Tarawally, originally from Sierra Leone, tells us why Mandela is his hero.

By Babah Tarawally, Utrecht

When a road leads to a crocodile’s mouth, it is not the first person who stands up to take the lead who I call my hero. It is the one who figures out how to reach the end of the road without falling prey to the crocodile.
It was after reading his autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom, that I decided to recognise Nelson Mandela as my hero. That was in mid-1996. He was already the first black president of South Africa. I was spending the first of my seven years in an asylum centre in the Netherlands.

Civil war in Sierra Leone caused me to flee my country. The asylum centre in which I was confined was a sort of prison, where I experienced a limitation of movement. Of course it was not a prison that could be compared with Mandela’s Robben Island.

Life in exile
I lived with three people in a small room the length and width of a football goal. Each of us occupied a corner with a bed as small as a hammock. Food was provided by male Dutch cooks using ingredients nothing like the ones we used back home. I ate holding my breath to avoid the thick smell of garlic. I detested what I ate, but it was that or going to bed with an empty stomach.

The fact is that none of what I experienced could be compared to Mandela’s harsh life in jail. But it was his autobiography that made me understand: prison is a tremendous education in the need for patience and perseverance. It is, above all, a test of one’s commitment.

Dreams reawoken
As a child I wanted to be an influential figure in my community, one who could change the lives of my people. I almost gave up that hope when life in exile became a bitter experience. Mandela came into my life to reawaken the dream of my childhood. He came when I thought I had already failed in life.

Mandela found wisdom through failure. He chose to learn from his mistakes rather than repeat them. He was not perfect. He could not save his marriage; he called Castro and Gaddafi his best friends. Some called Mandela a terrorist, a sell-out and a man without much Pan-African spirit.

Why Mandela?
But what made him stand out as a hero – not just for me but for many, both white and black – is that he was not defined by his ethnicity, race, religion, country or even continent.

Why Mandela is my hero
I never met Mandela and I sometimes ask myself: How could I be so passionate about a person I have never met? There were lots of others I could easily have chosen as my hero: Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Steve Biko, Bob Marley. But Mandela epitomised what was best in me. I was not looking for someone to save me, but rather someone to help awaken the heroic spirit in me.

When I was threatened with imminent deportation to Sierra Leone, I stood my ground. Before the court I made an appeal not to be sent back to my country, where the worst atrocities of war were being committed. The judge was impressed by my defence and I was allowed to stay.

Mandela’s ‘I am prepared to die’ speech, delivered at the opening of his 1964 trial, inspired me. I let the judges know that being an asylum seeker was not a crime. I ended my speech almost the same way Mandela had his. If the court would rule otherwise, I was prepared to return to my country to die.

Click here to read our Africa desk's obituary of Nelson Mandela

Discussion

cara menyembuhkan penyakit gondok beracun 20 January 2015 - 3:44am / Indonesia
rumah 17 January 2015 - 4:03pm / indonesia

desain rumah minimalis 2 lantai
desain rumah minimalis sederhana
desain rumah minimalis type 36
desain rumah minimalis 1 lantai
desain rumah minimalis modern 2 lantai
desain rumah minimalis autocad
desain rumah minimalis ala jepang

kursus komputer jogja 17 January 2015 - 3:49pm / indonesia
Athena 16 January 2015 - 2:34am / Indonesia

thx for information.
Obat Tradisional Wasir Alami

rizal 15 January 2015 - 7:07am

Obat Tradisional Ambeien Ace Maxs terbuat dari bahan-bahan alami tanpa efek samping mengobati dari dalam dengan kebaikan alami kulit manggis dan daun sirsak dan kunjungi juga Gerai Obat Herbal Tradisional Pusat Penjualan Obat Herbal dan Tradisional Terpercaya Dan TerBesar seluruh Indonesia dan juga kehadiran dari Toko Online Herbal  Obat Herbal Asam Urat Tanpa Efek Samping

Jibonson 29 December 2014 - 12:58pm

I just now discovered this post and now I'm remember to start with followers

Gudang Android 28 December 2014 - 2:53am / indonesia
mobile repairs perth 23 December 2014 - 8:28am / Australia

iPhone Repairs Perth
iPhone Repairs Perth
At Mobile Fone Care Perth, we make sure all our customers get the very best iPhone Repair Perth experience possible. We offer a totally different experience to other small repair shops and large insurance companies by making you (and your iPhone) our number one priority by offering an unrivalled fast repair time, security and a very competitive price.

dhinar 21 December 2014 - 10:30am / Indonesia

A good website ... Thank you for the information, hopefully more successful ...
Greenworld Indonesia |

drukarnia 16 December 2014 - 6:49pm / Germany

Is what you need which do syrob not have complicated terms, steps and procedures. It should have different customized umzug münchen to manage your different expenditures. Every household is different with different income level and different needs, then how common personal accounting software can be of.

drukarnia 15 December 2014 - 12:45pm / Poland

Delta plus różnych fabrykantów, spośród jakimi współdziałamy owo zabezpieczenie stylowy, przemocy plus dystyngowanego designu. Bez względu lub wybiorą Kraina otwór okienny, okna pcv, przejścia wejściowe cudzoziemskie, albo przejścia wejściowe wewnętrzne, w ciągu wszystkim w ogólności możecie opierać się rzetelność plus perfekcyjny charakter kupionych wytworów.

athena 13 December 2014 - 7:43am / Indonesia

Thank for information, very nice.
Solusi Kesehatan Anda

wiisnua 12 December 2014 - 4:30am

one of the positive things I have ever done is to visit the website / blog it. I am very impressed with your article writings. Good luck friend Read more at obat wasir herbal obat wasir herbal obat wasir herbal

lukas 11 December 2014 - 1:58pm

Prowadzisz firme, ale nie masz wlasnej strony internetowej? Dobrze trafiles, stworzymy dla ciebie idealny serwis.strony www opole tworzy piekne i estetyczne serwisy. Posiadamy wieloletnie doswiadczenie w projektowaniu stron. Wdrazamy szablony w popularne cms typu drupal, joomla czy wordpress. Zobacz cennik i wybierz najlepsza oferte dla siebie

athena 9 December 2014 - 7:22am / Indonesia

Thank for information, very nice.
Cara Ampuh Mengatasi Wasir

cara mengobati maag akut secara alami 19 December 2014 - 7:23am / Indonesia

hallo, kami menjual produk obat herbal dan alami untuk Anda yang mengalami masalah kesehatan... Jika Anda penasaran, silakan kunjungi => cara mengobati maag akut secara alami, obat sakit pinggang tradisional, Cara Mengobati Mata Minus dan Silinder dan Obat Pelangsing Perut Tradisional

Terimakasih atas infonya.. sangat menarik..

athena 8 December 2014 - 2:33am / Indonesia

Thank for information, very nice.
Solusi Kesehatan Anda

aziginanjar 5 December 2014 - 4:42am / USA

Researchers have identified dozens of biologically active compounds called "Xanthones" in the rind of the mangosteen fruit. There are litterally stacks of existing mangosteen research in dozens of countries talking about the benefits of mangosteen. Xanthones, the active compounds in the mangosteen fruit, have been proven in many scientific studies to promote healthy bodily function. Actually, countless people with Diabetes have reported more energy, wieghtloss, increased blood circulation, and lower blood sugar. Source ; Obat herbal diabetes melitus

Anonymous 4 December 2014 - 7:16am / Indonesia

Just keep publish what you are enthusiastic about, and the readers will come to your posting. http://1acemaxs.wordpress.com/ ace maxs

aziginanjar 2 December 2014 - 7:08am / USA

About 200,000 people are having problems getting food because of problems caused by the Ebola outbreak. An analysis by the World Food Program also concluded that if the disease continues to spread at the average rate observed since mid-September, as many as 750,000 people could lose access to affordable food by March 2015. Source : Obat herbal jantung

aziginanjar 27 November 2014 - 4:05am / obat ace maxs

President Obama says that guaranteeing every young person access to a world-class education is one part of the opportunity agenda he outlined in his 2014 State of the Union address to grow our economy for everybody, strengthen the middle class, and make it easier for folks to work their way into the middle class. Source ; Obat kanker rahim
Obat herbal diabetes melitus
Obat gagal ginjal Obat herbal stroke Cara pemesanan obat herbal ace maxs

irpann 24 November 2014 - 7:12am / indonesia

ordinary man who had become a leader because of extraordinary circumstances obat lemah syahwat
Vig power capsule

drukarnia 22 November 2014 - 10:09pm

Nasza specjalnoscia sa druki numerowane oraz druki z wszelakiego rodzaju zabezpieczeniami. Drukarnia offsetowa Szczecin - profesjonalna drukarnia offsetowa. Drukujemy etykiety, opakowania, materialy reklamowe, broszury, foldery. katalogi. Nie byloby to jednak mozliwe gdyby nie duzy potencjal produkcyjny drukarni. Dlatego zainwestowalismy w nowoczesny park maszynowy, ktory nieustannie rozbudowujemy. Znajdziesz tutaj zdjecia z realizacji roznych projektow ktore zostaly posegregowane odpowiednio tematycznie. Zostaly one wybrane jako przyklady z naszego bogatego dorobku. Specyfika urzadzenia jest druk z wykorzystaniem osmiokolorowych zestawow atramentowych, ktory gwarantuje wysoka jakosc nadruku, zapewnia szeroka game kolorow i plynnie odwzorowuje przejscia tonalne. Wszystkie drukowane prace mozna zalaminowac co pozwala na przedluzenie ich trwalosci, a takze poprawia efekt wizualny.

drukarnia 22 November 2014 - 10:07pm

Toen dit gezegd was , de brahmaan Aggikabhàradvàja zeiden aldus tot de Gezegende :
Goede Gotama , nu weet ik , het lijkt mij dat er iets omgevallen is
opnieuw geïnstalleerd , wordt iets bedekt gemanifesteerd .

XiuSangster 15 November 2014 - 1:48am

Thanks for information, very nice.
Obat Alergi Ampuh

peluang usaha 14 November 2014 - 4:05am / indonesia
puspita 6 November 2014 - 2:15am / indonesia

back link amazon :
Obat Alergi Ampuh

Anonymous 25 October 2014 - 2:11pm / Vi?t Nam

If you set out to make me think today; mission accomplished! I really like your writing style and how you express your ideas. Thank you.
p1 video magnet

Anonymous 25 October 2014 - 2:11pm / Vi?t Nam

p1 video magnet

ARCHIVE

Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Video highlights

Ladies on the move
RNW is keen on featuring inspiring women in our target countries, women who...
What about men?
In many countries, men don't stick around to raise their children. This is...